Looking for an easy gluten-free and vegan vegetable side dish, or just an easy way to get your vegetarian kids to eat their carrots? Look no further. Try these simple sweet glazed carrots made with just a few ingredients.
Glazed carrots can be made with a bag of store-bought ready-to-eat baby carrots, or you can slice up regular carrots by hand or by using the slicer of your food processor, if you have one.
In this super-easy side dish, carrots are glazed with a bit of vegan margarine (check the label to make sure your margarine is vegan, or be sure to use a vegan brand such as Earth balance) and brown sugar for an almost caramelized taste. Carrots are naturally sweet, so just a touch of extra sugar turns this easy carrot dish into a real treat. And, with just three ingredients, it's a breeze to prepare. If you're not eating dairy-free or vegan, you can use real butter in this simple side dish.
For grown-ups, you can finish off your carrots with a bit of fresh minced thyme (pictured) or mint to serve for a nice presentation, but best to leave any fresh herbs off if you're cooking for kids.
These simple glazed carrots would also make a suitable gluten-free and vegan Thanksgiving vegetable side dish.
Recipe tips and variations:
- To prepare these glazed carrots for a vegetarian Thanksgiving, add dried cranberries for a festive fall touch
- You can also add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg just before serving
- 3 tbsp margarine (make sure it's vegan, such as Earth Balance brand)
- 4 carrots (sliced thin: or you can also use about 12 ounces of baby carrots)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (you can use regular white sugar if you don't have any brown sugar on hand)
- If you're using baby carrots, you'll need to steam them first until they are almost tender. Use a vegetable steamer, or, place about an inch of water in a pot, and simmer the baby carrots, covered, for about 10 minutes. You don't want them to be cooked all the way, but rather, you just want to give them a bit of a head start.
- If you're using regular carrots, be sure to slice them fairly thin - about 1/4 inch thick, otherwise they won't cook all the way, or you'll need to also lightly steam them first.
- First, melt the margarine over low heat, then, once melted, add the steamed carrots or sliced regular carrots.
- Increase heat to medium high and add the sugar.
- Allow the carrots to cook, stirring frequently, until they are soft and slightly darkened on the edges.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|