Croatian-Serbian palacinke are thin crepe-like pancakes. When they are filled with jam, fruit, or sweet or cheeses and rolled, they are still known as palacinke (blintzes).
Hungarians call crepes palacsinta, Poles call them naleśniki, Lithuanians call them naliesnikai, Ukrainians call them nalysnyky, and in Romanian, it's clatita. There is very little difference in the basic recipe, so this palacinke batter recipe will suffice for all.
- Palacinke Batter:
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk (whole)
- Sweet Cheese Filling:
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine all the sweet cheese filling ingredients. Let it rest, covered and refrigerated, for 1 1/2 hours while you make the palacinke.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the batter ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a pitcher, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes so the liquid can be absorbed by the flour.
- Using a 2-ounce ladle, portion out batter into a nonstick skillet that has been coated with equal parts butter and oil. Rotate pan and swirl batter until it covers the entire bottom of pan. Cook until lightly brown or spotted brown on the underside. Turn and cook second side until light brown. See these step-by-step crepe-making instructions.
- Remove to waxed paper or parchment paper and repeat with remaining batter, separating palacinke with waxed paper or parchment. At this point, palacinke can be used immediately or wrapped and frozen up to 1 month.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons filling on one edge of each palacinke and roll away from yourself.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place filled palacinke on a buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine all topping ingredients, mixing well, and spread on top of filled palacinke. Bake 20 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|