This recipe for sweet cheese pierogi filling using farmer's cheese is a favorite with pierogi eaters. If you can't find dry curd cheese at your market, you might want to try your hand at making your own farmer's cheese from scratch. It's incredibly easy. In a pinch, well-drained ricotta cheese can be used but the taste will be decidedly different.
For a savory option, check out this recipe for savory cheese-potato pierogi filling. Curd cheese is left unsweetened and mixed with mashed potatoes and sautéed onions for a tasty spin on plain cheese.
- 1 large room-temperature egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound room-temperature dry curd or farmer's cheese
- Mix together egg, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Add farmer's cheese and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Drop by tablespoonsful onto pierogi dough of choice (see options below).
- Once you've made this filling and prepared the dough, you're ready to roll. View these step-by-step instructions for rolling, filling and cooking pierogi.
Pierogi Dough Options
It's safe to say there are as many recipes for pierogi dough as there are cooks.
Some think adding an egg to the dough will toughen it, while others feel it's not a pierogi without an egg dough. Here are some popular pierogi dough recipes for you to choose from:
- Basic Pierogi Dough Recipe: This is a simple combination of flour, eggs, water, and salt. You might add a little more water or flour to achieve a smooth dough that isn't crumbly or sticky.
- Sour Cream Pierogi Dough Recipe: This dough is made with sour cream and butter and is ideal for both savory and sweet fillings.
- No-Egg/No-Dairy Pierogi Dough Recipe: This vegan pierogi dough is perfect for those who are allergic to eggs or dairy products.
- Gluten-Free Pierogi Dough Recipe: Now those with sensitivities to wheat can enjoy pierogi with this gluten-free recipe made with all-purpose gluten-free flour.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|