This recipe for sweet corn soup combines canned cream corn with corn niblets. Feel free to use fresh corn in season. The soup reheats very nicely.
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup crabmeat (drained canned or fresh)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can creamed corn
- 1 12-ounce can corn (drained)
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 to 2 green onions (finely chopped)
In a small bowl, stir the chopped ginger into the flaked crabmeat. In a separate small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water.
In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth, creamed corn, corn niblets, soy sauce, sugar, and pepper to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add the crabmeat and return to a boil. Re-stir the cornstarch and water and pour it into the soup, stirring quickly to thicken.
Remove the soup from heat. Stir in sesame oil. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped green onion.