Warning! These little tidbits are highly addictive. You can use just about any type of nut you like or mix them up for a special treat. They are so easy to make but so tasty! Put these sweet crunchy nuts into a nice glass jar or tin, and they make a tasty gift from the kitchen for any occasion.
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 275 F. Have an ungreased 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 inch jelly roll pan ready.
- Using an electric mixer, place egg whites into a large bowl big enough to accommodate the nuts. Beat until the whites form soft peaks when beaters are lifted.
- Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is stiff and glossy. With a large spatula, stir in melted butter.
- Gently fold nuts into meringue mixture until they are evenly coated, taking care not to break nuts.
- Spread coated nuts evenly on ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake about 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to keep nuts separate, until meringue is dry and nuts are crunchy. Let cool in pan, stirring occasionally to keep separate.
- Pour cooled nuts into covered containers and store up to 2 months at room temperature.