The combination of mustard and molasses gives barbecued meats a sweet and sour flavor. While this is intended for pork this sauce can be used on chicken and beef as well. Don't be afraid to experiment.
- 1 cup (240 mL) prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) powdered oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) powdered thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cayenne (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan. Add enough vinegar to make a mixable paste. Mix well.
- Place over high heat and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let the sauce cool completely before using.
If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
The sauce becomes more flavorful after a day or two.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|