Use Vidalia onions or other sweet onions in this flavorful relish. This relish is delicious with beef or pork, or use it to add flavor to appetizers.
- 5 pounds sweet onions (peeled, ground or finely chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (washed, seeds and stems removed, ground or finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- Combine the ground onions and bell peppers with the salt; stir and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer, reduce heat to low and add the jar lids. Keep them in the hot water, but do not boil.
- Half fill a canning kettle with water; add the jars and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and keep jars hot while the onion mixture is simmering.
- Drain the vegetables in a fine mesh strainer, squeezing gently.
- In a large non-reactive pot, combine the sugars, turmeric, and vinegar. Put pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to the vinegar and sugar mixture. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the well-drained vegetable mixture, increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Fill the hot jars and wipe rims with damp paper towels. Fit the jars with the lids and screw jar rings on firmly.
- Put the jars on a rack in the canner and fill with more very hot or boiling water so it comes at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars to a rack to cool. Do not invert.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||42 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|