These classic sweet potato biscuits are made with mashed sweet potatoes, butter, and spices. Make these for the fall or winter holiday meals.
The sweet potato biscuits are lightly sweetened with brown sugar and spiced with some cinnamon and allspice.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in 1/4 cup butter and the shortening with a pastry blender or forks until mixture is crumbly.
- Add mashed sweet potato and milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead just a few times.
- Roll dough out to 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thickness and then cut out with a 2-inch to 3-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased or parchment pepper-lined baking sheet and brush with the melted butter.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Makes about 15 biscuits.
Response to a reader regarding baking powder: This recipe for biscuits is made with self-rising flour, which contains baking powder. If you don't have self-rising flour, add 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to all-purpose flour.
"This recipe is very good. After I brushed on the melted butter, I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. They are nice and moist and extremely tasty. By all means, try this recipe out, I think most folks will like it!" B.G.
"We had a singleton leftover sweet potato in search of a recipe. I mashed the potato with a fork, then used my food processor for the rest of the procedure. Super simple. Of course, the sweet potato makes a contribution that is a variable - and mine was a flavorful spud. The biscuits have a complex and delicious flavor, a delicate texture, and a lovely appearance." C.K.
"This recipe is very good. The only thing I changed was to add some additional baking powder (approx. 1 teaspoon) I found it easier to use Bob Evans mashed sweet potatoes. It saved the time of cooking my own." Nashville
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|