This sweet potato cake is a moist and delicious loaf cake, and it's baked in a loaf pan making it the perfect size for most families. The cream cheese frosting is makes an excellent topping.
Toast some flaked coconut or pecans and sprinkle them over the cream cheese frosting for extra flavor and texture.
Bake this easy cake for a fall gathering or holiday dessert.
- 8 ounces/1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces/1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweet potatoes (mashed or pureed)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: toasted coconut and chopped pecans
- Butter a 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan then dust with flour to coat. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Blend well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth and well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and sweet potatoes to the first mixture and beat on low speed until well blended.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted in the center of the loaf.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- In a medium bowl with electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and well blended. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Frost the top of the cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut or chopped pecans, if desired.
Toasted Coconut - Put about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning constantly until the coconut is lightly browned and aromatic, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Toasted Pecans - Spread about 1/2 cup of pecan halves in a dry skillet and place it over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for just a few minutes, or until the pecans begin to smell toasty and darken just a bit. Remove immediately to a plate and then chop them coarsely.
Makes about 8 to 10 servings.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|