|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 33g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 68g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Southern sweet potato casserole is the perfect combination of sweet potato filling and crunchy, buttery pecan topping. It's the only sweet potato casserole you'll need and it's sure to be a hit with family and guests.
It's the perfect side dish casserole for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. But you don' t have to wait for a holiday to enjoy this casserole recipe—add it to your Sunday dinner menu or serve it any day of the week along with pork chops or fried chicken.
The classic recipe is easily doubled for a crowd. If your family prefers a different topping, see the variations below the recipe.
Watch Now: Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes with 1 cup of the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Blend thoroughly and spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
In another bowl combine the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar, the flour, the remaining 1/4 cup of melted butter, and the chopped pecans.
Sprinkle the pecan topping mixture over the top of the sweet potato casserole.
Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is hot and the topping has browned.
Serve and enjoy!
- To make the cooked, cooled, and mashed sweet potatoes, peel three large or four medium sweet potatoes, cut them into 1-inch slices, and put them in a saucepan. Cover them with water, bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain, mash, and let them cool slightly before using in the recipe.
- To make this dish ahead, prepare the sweet potato filling the day before. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover, and refrigerate. You may also prepare the topping in a separate bowl, and cover and refrigerate it. Take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Spread with the topping and bake as directed.
- Marshmallow Topping: Omit the pecan topping and bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Top with about three to four cups of mini marshmallows. Return to the oven for 10 minutes longer, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Pecan and Marshmallow Topping: Reduce the pecan topping ingredients by about half and sprinkle all around the edge of the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, then fill the center in with about two to three cups of miniature marshmallows. Continue baking for 10 more minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Coconut Pecan Topping: Combine 1 cup chopped pecans, 3/4 to 1 cup flaked coconut, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Stir until the mixture is crumbly and sprinkle it over the sweet potato filling.