|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegetarian chunky soup filled with carrots, sweet potatoes, tomato, corn, and kale is hearty enough to be a main meal. The cashews add extra protein and thickening power. However, they may be omitted for those with nut allergies. The ingredient list may appear daunting, but this is extremely simple to make and does not take long. You do not have to be vegetarian to enjoy this one.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook by Steve Petusevsky (Clarkson Potter).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 rib celery (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped kale leaves
- Salt and ground white pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon tepid water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces (optional)
Heat oil in a large nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Saute carrots, red onions, celery, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes 3 minutes. Add thyme and turmeric. Combine well with vegetables. Add tomatoes and broth; simmer 20 minutes.
Add corn, kale, salt, and white pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper.
Thicken either of two ways: Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon tepid water. With soup simmering, stir in cornstarch mixture. Continue to stir and simmer 3 minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
If using cashews, place nuts in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add cornstarch mixture and 3/4 cup warm soup broth; blend or process to combine. Return mixture to simmering soup, continue to simmer, stirring often, 3 minutes.