Roasted sweet potato, almond butter, and a mix of spices make a delicious, healthful, and vibrantly colorful dip. It's an excellent alternative to ho-hum hummus, both in flavor and appearance. Try it on crackers or pita chips, or serve it with a mix of raw vegetables such as carrot sticks, celery stalks, trimmed radishes, thin wedges of fennel, and/or broccoli and cauliflower florets.
This gorgeous dip can be made up to three days in advance, just note that if it's made ahead, the flavor of that single clove of garlic will intensify. You can leave the garlic out, decrease it, or simply stir in freshly minced garlic right before serving.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter (or seed or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash sea salt (to taste)
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Scrub the sweet potato clean and put it in the oven to roast until it's tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the sweet potato in a microwave: poke the sweet potato all over with a fork and microwave on high in 1-minute increments until the sweet potato is tender all the way through, about 6 minutes total.
- When the sweet potato is done, let it sit at room temperature until it's cool enough to handle, at least 30 minutes (this will also allow a microwaved sweet potato to finish cooking evenly). Remove and discard the peel (the peel should slip right off, but a paring knife will take care of any tough spots) and put the roasted, peeled sweet potato in a food processor. Pulse a few times just to start to break the sweet potato down.
- Peel and mince the garlic and add it to the sweet potato. Pulse to combine. Add in the almond butter, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper, to the sweet potato. Whirl, scraping the sides of the bowl down with a spatula as necessary to keep the mixture together until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste (at least 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and up to double of each, depending on your taste). Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|