Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods! Not only are they chock full of vitamins, I think that have a more interesting flavor than the white potato. A long time ago, I had sweet potato falafel at a vegetarian recipe and have been craving it since. Recently, I decided to try to recreate that wonderful taste I had many years ago and was successful. Here, I share with you my recipe for sweet potato falafel.
As an appetizer, you can also serve them warm with a thin slice of cucumber on top, held together with a toothpick.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cup flour
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake sweet potatoes for one hour or until they can be pierced with a fork. Alternatively, you can also microwave sweet potatoes until done (usually 20 minutes for two large sweet potatoes, depending on your microwave. Allow sweet potatoes to cool completely. Once cooled, peel off skins and discard.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooled, place in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add flour, chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, lemon juice and salt. Continue to mash with a fork until combined well and smooth in consistency. You can also place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender for quick mashing.
- Using your hands, a melon baller, cookie scoop, or tablespoon, form mixture into small balls and place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Be sure to place them about two inches apart. Sprinkle with desired amount of sesame seeds. Chill falafel balls in the refrigerator about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove baking sheet from refrigerator. If you would like your sweet potato falafel to remain in ball shape, place them in the over and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- You can also flatten them with a fork before cooking for a small falafel patty. These are great for pita sandwiches or salads. Cook for about 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Leftover Sweet Potato Falafel?
Leftovers can be saved if covered and refrigerated for 24 hours. Reheat in the oven or in the microwave. I like to use my leftovers in a green salad with tahini sauce for the dressing. They are also perfect in pita pockets with lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, and tahini sauce or garlic sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|