|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 16 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||82%|
|Total Carbohydrate 99g||36%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This sweet potato cake is finished with a rich and creamy cream cheese frosting. Top the frosted cake with some extra chopped walnuts or pecans or toasted coconut.
Use freshly boiled or baked sweet potatoes or use canned mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato puree.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potatoes (peeled and mashed)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 teaspoon maple (or vanilla extract)
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup chopped walnut, pecans, or toasted coconut
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the shortening with the granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and beat until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and spices, if using.
- In three additions, beat the dry ingredients into the creamed sweet potato mixture, alternating with the milk and ending with the flour mixture. Very dry sweet potatoes might require a bit more milk.
- Fold in the 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans and the 1 teaspoon of vanilla or maple flavoring.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the layers bounce back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Frost the tops of the three layers and then stack them on a cake plate or platter. Frost the sides.
- If desired, top with chopped walnuts, pecans, or coconut. See below for toasting instructions.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in the 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Continue beating until light and fluffy.
*To toast the nuts or coconut, spread them out in a single layer in a dry skillet. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and aromatic.
You Might Also Like