|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 42g||53%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||71%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe brings together a sweet potato pie with a pecan pie, combining two holiday favorites into one delicious dessert. A partially-baked pie crust is filled with a creamy mixture of sweet potatoes, butter, cream, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and spices. You can spike the filling with a little bourbon or brandy, or keep it non-alcoholic with orange juice. Buttery pecans are sprinkled on top, adding a layer of crunch. Serve the pie with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 pastry-lined pie shell
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (cooked, mashed)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or bourbon or orange juice)
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Line the pie crust with foil and fill with pie weights; bake for 12 minutes. Remove the pie weights and foil and set aside.
Mash sweet potatoes with half of the butter (1/4 cup). Let cool. Add heavy cream, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices, and brandy, bourbon, or orange juice. Beat until fluffy; turn into pie crust.
Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter with corn syrup and pecans; sprinkle evenly over the top of the pie.
Return the pie to the oven and bake 25 minutes longer, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with whipped cream or whipped topping.
Three Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Oven-Baked: Heat the oven to 400 F. Prick whole unpeeled sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Arrange on a rack in the oven with a large piece of foil or pan on the rack below (to catch drips). Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- Microwave: Arrange whole unpeeled sweet potatoes in the microwave. Microwave on high power for about 6 to 8 minutes, rotating a half-turn about halfway through the cooking time.
- Boiled: Put sliced or diced peeled sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue boiling for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until very tender.
How to Store Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Since the filling contains dairy, the pie should be stored in the refrigerator. Make sure it is completely cool and cover loosely with aluminum foil. It will stay fresh up to four days.
Is Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Good for You?
Although you are getting all of the health benefits of sweet potatoes and pecans (such as fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats), the pie also contains sugar and ingredients that are high in fat like heavy cream, butter, and pie crust. Therefore, it is best to eat in moderation.