|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 pie (serves 8)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 42g||53%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||71%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This fabulous sweet potato pecan pie is made to perfection in a partially-baked pie crust.
Spike this pie with a little bourbon or brandy, or keep it non-alcoholic with orange juice.
Serve the pie with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream—whatever strikes your fancy!
- 1 pastry-lined pie shell
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (cooked, mashed)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or bourbon or orange juice)
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
Preheat over to 425 F.
Line the pie crust with foil and fill with pie weights; bake for 12 minutes. Remove the pie weights and foil and set aside.
Mash sweet potatoes with half of the butter (1/4 cup). Let cool. Add heavy cream, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices, and brandy, bourbon, or orange juice. Beat until fluffy; turn into pie crust.
Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter with corn syrup and pecans; sprinkle evenly over the top of the pie.
Return the pie to the oven and bake 25 minutes longer, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve with whipped cream or whipped topping.
Three Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 degrees C/Gas 6).
- Prick whole unpeeled sweet potatoes with a fork in several places.
- Arrange on a rack in the oven with a large piece of foil or pan on the rack below (to catch drips).
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- Arrange whole unpeeled sweet potatoes in the microwave.
- Microwave on high power for about 6 to 8 minutes, rotating a half-turn about halfway through the cooking time.
- Put sliced or diced peeled sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue boiling for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until very tender.