This moist sweet potato bread is low in fat and super easy to prepare and bake. Applesauce replaces oil or butter in the recipe, adding a ton of flavor to the loaf while reducing the number of ingredients that you need.
The sweet potato bread includes chopped dates or raisins, but feel free to replace them with chocolate chips, dried cranberries, or more pecans.
The bread freezes beautifully, so make an extra loaf for another day!
- Grease bottom of a loaf pan approximately 9- x 5- x 3-inches. Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in mixing bowl; stir in the sugar, pecans, and raisins or dates. Blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the applesauce, milk, and mashed sweet potatoes.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon just until moistened. Never overmix a quick bread batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the quick bread for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.
Quick breads and muffins should go into the oven as soon as the batter is in the pans. Make sure the oven and pans are ready before you combine the wet and dry ingredients.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|