|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Whether you're looking for a way to use leftover cooked sweet potato or want to find a cake recipe with a little twist, this sweet potato pound cake is a great choice. Mashed sweet potato, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, buttermilk, and pecans combine with traditional pound cake ingredients to make a moist and flavorful cake with a little bit of crunch.
This delicious sweet potato pound cake can be made in a Bundt pan or tube cake pan. The cake is brushed with melted butter and dusted with a light coating of powdered sugar for the perfect finishing touch.
Click Play to See This Sweet Potato Pound Cake Come Together
"The cake itself is easy and straightforward. I was careful not to overmix and pulled it from the oven right at the 55-minute mark. It came out beautifully fluffy, with a cinnamon-spice flavor perfect for fall. It requires some make-ahead work if you don't have leftovers." —Patty Lee
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (canned or homemade)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (stir lightly before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or a tube cake pan.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and sweet potato until well blended.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; use a whisk or spoon to blend the dry ingredients.
Adding a little at a time, stir the flour mixture into the batter, alternating with the buttermilk, until blended. Do not overmix.
Fold in the chopped pecans. Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan or tube cake pan.
Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto the rack to cool completely.
Transfer the cake to a serving plate, brush all over with the melted butter, and then dust with the powdered sugar.
How Many Sweet Potatoes Is 2 Cups?
For 2 cups of mashed sweet potato, you will need about 1 pound or 3 medium-sized potatoes.
- Orange Glaze: Replace the powdered sugar topping with an orange glaze. Combine 1 cup confectioners' sugar with 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest and 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice. Adjust with more orange juice or powdered sugar as needed for a thin drizzling consistency. Spoon over the cooled cake.
- Walnut Version: Feel free to use chopped walnuts in place of the pecans.