- 1 3/4 pounds raw chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 400 F, Cut an "X" into the flat side of each chestnut shell. Place chestnuts in a single layer on a sheet pan with a lip. Roast until shells begin to peel back, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes to cool. Peel shells and let chestnuts cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, bring roasted and peeled chestnuts, sugar, and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 to 35 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Strain the chestnuts, reserving the liquid.
- Blend chestnuts in a food processor until smooth. While the food processor is running, slowly add as much reserved syrup as necessary through the food chute to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let cool completely before refrigerating.
More Chestnut Recipes
- Chestnut Stuffing Recipe: This traditional recipe so evocative of the holidays can be made with fresh or canned chestnuts and is perfect for stuffing a bird or baked as a side dish.
- Chestnut Pasta in Butter and Sage Sauce Recipe: This recipe is a very old and traditional one for Italian peasant food elevated to a gift from the gods.
- Turkish Chocolate-Covered Chestnut Recipe: Karyoka are rich, luxurious bites of chocolate-covered balls of chestnut purée sprinkled with ground pistachio nuts.
- Chestnut Pound Cake Recipe: Made with chestnut flour, this nutty-tasting pound cake has a subtle sweetness and a light, sophisticated flavor perfect for dessert, tea or a mid-afternoon snack.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|