This super easy chicken casserole includes boneless chicken breasts, mushrooms, Swiss cheese, and soup, along with sour cream and optional wine. This is an excellent dish to prepare for a busy day dinner.
The simple sauce is a mixture of condensed soup, sour cream, and your choice of wine, sherry, or chicken stock. If you are cooking for children or just prefer to cook without alcohol, feel free to use chicken stock.
Serve this tasty chicken meal with mashed potatoes or an easy top of the stove stuffing and a tossed salad for a fabulous family meal. It's wonderful with noodles or rice as well. Steamed broccoli or asparagus would complement the chicken nicely.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (reduced fat or regular)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (or white wine or
- chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Trim the mushrooms and wipe them clean with a damp paper towel or rinse them briefly to remove dirt.
- In a small skillet or saute pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish and then spoon the sauteed mushrooms evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine the condensed soup, sour cream, and sherry. Pour the sauce over the chicken, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and casserole is bubbly.
- Place the chicken breasts and mushrooms on serving platter. Stir the sauce to blend and serve with chicken.
Tips and Variations
- Mushrooms absorb water, so don't let them soak in water. Clean larger mushrooms with a damp paper towel or rinse them briefly under cold running water.
- Replace the Swiss cheese with shredded fontina, Gruyere, Gouda, or Emmentaler.
- Mushroom-Free Version: Omit the butter and mushrooms. Drain a 14-ounce can of artichokes. Chop the artichokes and sprinkle over the chicken in the baking dish. Top with the Swiss cheese. Replace the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken soup and continue with the recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||118 g|
|Saturated Fat||47 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|