Make your own taco seasoning mix to control the ingredients for better nutrition. This easy recipe is great to keep on hand for instant tacos. Just add some of this mix to browned ground beef and use it as a filling for tacos, enchiladas, or burritos. It's also great to make it yourself because you can control what goes into it. Many packaged mixes are very high in sodium and have lots of other ingredients such as preservatives and emulsifiers.
This mix stores very well up to 6 months, in a tightly sealed container. Make sure you store all of your herbs, spices, and seasoning mixes in a cool dark place. Heat and light will reduce the pungency of these ingredients.
You can vary this mix any way you'd like. Add more onion, or more chili powder. If you like really spicy foods, add more crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. If you are on a low sodium diet, you can completely omit the salt and no one will be the wiser.
- 1/4 cup instant minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and blend thoroughly with a wire whisk.
- Spoon the mixture into a tightly closed container and label as "Taco Seasoning Mix". Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes 6 packages (about 2 tablespoons. each) of seasoning mix. Two tablespoons of this mixture equal one 1.25-ounce package of purchased taco seasoning mix.
To make taco filling:
- Brown 1 pound lean ground beef in large skillet over medium heat; drain grease.
- Add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix.
- Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes enough filling for 8 to 10 tacos.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|