While tacos on their own are delectable and hard to resist, you can still get creative come Taco Tuesday and opt to make something outside of the box. You can start with this taco soup. Taco seasoning and similar spices flavor this hearty, beefy taco soup. Top this delicious slow cooker soup with tortilla chips or strips, or garnish with shredded cheese or sour cream.
This is an easy recipe that you can put together and then do something else with your day as you wait for it to come together.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (undrained)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, chili beans, or more black beans (undrained)
- 1 cup beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can or jar (8 ounces) taco sauce or tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with the onion and peppers, stirring frequently, until the beef is no longer pink.
Transfer to the slow cooker insert (3 1/2- to 6-quart is fine).
Add the two cans of beans, taco sauce or tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and corn.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Add salt and pepper, to taste.