|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Tahini sauce is made from tahini (a sesame seed paste). It's thinner and used in pita sandwiches, marinades, and dips and is very easy to make. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will keep for about two weeks.
- Tahini is a Middle Eastern pantry essential. It is the foundation for many Middle Eastern recipes like hummus and baba ghanoush.
- Tahini can be prepared homemade or purchased at a Middle Eastern grocer in a can. It is called tahini or tahina, depending on the region.
- There is so much you can do with tahini. It is used in many dishes, especially appetizer dips, and it can be paired with a variety of vegetables, including broccoli and cauliflower.
One of the most important ingredients in hummus, other than chickpeas, is tahini. If you frequent Middle Eastern restaurants and eat the hummus, you know that hummus tastes different everywhere. Some types of hummus have a strong lemon flavor, some have an overwhelming garlic flavor, and some hummus has a spicy tone. When making your own hummus, you have to keep your own taste buds in mind. The fun of Middle Eastern cooking is that the ingredient amounts aren't set in stone. Add a little of this and take away that and you still have a culinary masterpiece!
Shawarma is like the ultimate on-the-go meal. Thinly sliced meat, wrapped in pita bread with veggies and sauce is a delicious quick meal. Tahini, along with lemon juice, garlic, and yogurt makes up the sauce that goes with this Middle Eastern classic.
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Optional: 1 teaspoon parsley (finely chopped)