This really isn't a recipe, but more of a method on how to 'properly' take a shot of tequila (or tequila cruda).
Tequila connoisseurs will tell you that you should savor the taste and aroma slowly when drinking straight tequila, particularly the good stuff. However, this method is a hit at parties and with tourists in Mexico, and there is an order that should be followed for it to make sense (more on that below).
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- Lemon or lime wedge
- 1 pinch of salt
Gather the ingredients.
Moisten the back of your hand below the index finger (usually by licking) and pour on the salt.
Lick the salt off your hand. The salt lessens the burn of the tequila.
Drink the tequila.
Quickly bite into and suck the lemon or lime wedge. The sour fruit balances and enhances the flavor of the tequila.
- If you ever forget the order in which you need to take this shot, just remember "lick, sip, suck."
- Whichever tequila you choose, the best advice we can give is to avoid the cheaper brands as they almost certainly bring on hangovers.
- That said, no premium tequila will save you from a nasty morning if you have too many shots!
- The popular tequila of choice has long been gold tequila, though that is quickly changing. We would encourage you to make the switch and pour a good blanco tequila into your shot glass, as they are typically much smoother. If you want to step it up yet another step, go with an aged reposado tequila. You may also opt for a smoky mezcal.
- Add more variety to your tequila shots by rimming the shot glass. Plain or colored sugar are fun options, as is a 50-50 mix of cinnamon and sugar. Of course, you can always go with margarita salt.
- If you're bored with the standard straight shot of tequila, try one of these shooters instead. There are some fantastic shot recipes made with tequila that are sure to rock your world:
- Apocalypse Now - tequila, dry vermouth, Irish cream liqueur
- Black Rose - Blavod Vodka, Tequila Rose
- Crouching Tiger - tequila, lychee liqueur
- El Vocho - reposado tequila, pineapple juice, cilantro, mint, jalapeno
- Firecracker - tequila, Goldschlager, Rumple Minze
- Margarita Jelly Shot - white tequila, triple sec, gelatin
- Mexican Samurai - tequila, TY KU liqueur
- Office Party - reposado tequila, ginger syrup, lime juice, grenadine, red bell pepper juice
- Prairie Fire - tequila, Tabasco sauce
- Sangrita - tequila, clamato juice, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce
- Tequila Slammer - tequila, lemon-lime soda
- Three Wise Men Visit Mexico - Johnnie Walker Scotch, Jim Beam Bourbon, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila
- Wake the Dead - tequila, coffee liqueur, espresso