Do you want to try Indian food but you feel like it's too much to tackle? If so, try these easy Tandoori-style chicken breasts. These grilled chicken breasts are marinated in a flavorful buttermilk and spice mixture then placed on the grill. Reserve the marinade and brush on during the first half of cooking. Slice and serve in salads, wraps, sandwiches, or with your favorite Indian-inspired side dishes.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (skinless)
- 1 1/4 cups/300 milliliters buttermilk
- 1 lemon (squeezed, for juice)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons/10 milliliters cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 milliliters coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters garam masala
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters ginger (fresh grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters cardamom powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon/1.25 to 2.5 milliliters cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters black pepper (ground)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 milliliters fenugreek
Place chicken breasts in the resealable plastic bag.
Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
Make sure to massage the marinade into the meat.
Seal bag and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade.
Place chicken on grill and sear for 2 minutes, brush uncooked portion with marinade, turn, and do the same for the seared side.
After two minutes, turn again and cook for 12 to 16 minutes, turning breasts occasionally during the cooking process.
Once cooked through (an internal temperature of 165 F at the thickest part of the breast), remove from grill, let rest for 5 minutes, slice and serve.