|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This tasty Tang pie is a delicious mixture of cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and whipped cream. The Tang powder mix gives the pie a wonderful orange citrus flavor. It takes around 10 minutes to whip this delightful dessert up. You simply mix the ingredients in a hand or stand electric mixer, fold in the cream, pour it into the store-bought graham cracker crust (although you are welcome to make a homemade crust if you'd like), and refrigerate to set. Top it off with a garnish of some orange slices or sliced strawberries for a finishing touch.
Some of you might recall the orange drink powder mix, Tang. This mix came out in the late 1950s and was invented by William A. Mitchell. It became a popular breakfast drink, and during the 1960s was known as the drink the astronauts used during their flights into space. To this day, it is still marketed, comes in other flavors besides the original orange flavor, and is sold and enjoyed in over 35 countries.
This Tang pie is deliciously light and fluffy, and some liken its taste to that of a frozen Creamsicle pop. It's a refreshing dessert to make for a spring or summer treat and is perfect to serve for a picnic or potluck dinner. Enjoy a blast from the past with this pie made with Tang.
- 1/2 cup Tang orange drink powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups sweetened whipped cream, prepared Dream Whip, or thawed frozen whipped topping (about 8 ounces), divided
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- Orange slices or fresh berries, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low, combine the Tang, cream cheese, and condensed milk until well blended and the drink mix is dissolved.
Fold 1 1/2 cups of the whipped cream into the cream cheese and Tang mixture.
Spoon the filling into the crust; cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
Top the chilled pie with the remaining whipped cream or top individual servings.
Garnish with slices of orange or fresh berries.
- You can find Tang online at Amazon, and in some grocery stores.
- Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk.
- This Tang pie can be made ahead of time. Let it chill out and sit overnight in the refrigerator, rather than the two hours allotted in this recipe.
- Make homemade whipped cream to use in place of the storebought cream.
- Instead of a storebought crust, make your own.
How to Store
The Tang pie can be stored wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for three to four days.