This flavorful braised cabbage is an easy preparation, and it makes a tasty side dish. Serve the dish with ham, corned beef, or a pork dish. The apple and apple jelly combined with the vinegar gives the dish a nice mix of sweet and sour flavors. If you like the taste of caraway seeds, they make an excellent addition.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, finely diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, coarsely chopped or shredded, about 8 cups
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves or apple jelly
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter over low heat. When the butter is hot, add onion and apple and cook, stirring, for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add cabbage, black pepper, vinegar, and the preserves or jelly. Stir to mix well. Cover the pan tightly and simmer slowly over low heat for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until cabbage is very soft and tender.
- Add salt to taste.
Tips and Variations
- Cook 2 to 4 slices of bacon. Drain, crumble, and then toss with the cabbage just before serving.
- Add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds to the pan along with the cabbage.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|