|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||36%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This flavorful braised cabbage is an easy preparation and it makes a tasty side dish. Serve the dish with ham, corned beef, or a pork dish. The apple and apple jelly combined with the vinegar gives the dish a nice mix of sweet and sour flavors. If you like the taste of caraway seeds, they make an excellent addition.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 1 large tart apple (peeled, cored, finely diced)
- 1/2 head of cabbage (coarsely chopped or shredded, about 8 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- Kosher salt, to taste
Melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. When the butter is hot, add onion and apple and cook, stirring, for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
Add cabbage, black pepper, vinegar, and the preserves or jelly. Stir to mix well. Cover the pan tightly and simmer slowly over low heat for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until cabbage is very soft and tender.
Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Replace the apple jelly with apricot preserves.
- Cook 2 to 4 slices of bacon. Drain, crumble, and then toss with the cabbage just before serving.
- Add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds to the pan along with the cabbage.