|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This tangy coleslaw is made with a simple sweet and hot vinegar dressing and is an excellent coleslaw to use as a topping for pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches. It's a delicious topping for burgers, or serve it along with a ham or pork dinner, fried shrimp, oysters, or fish and chips. It would be fantastic on fish tacos!
The hot dressing wilts the cabbage somewhat and acts as a marinade. You get all of the flavors with less fat and sugar clinging to the cabbage than a typical mayonnaise dressing.
- 1 cabbage (finely shredded or about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of packaged shredded coleslaw mix)
- 1 onion (medium red, quartered and thinly sliced)
- For the Dressing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
Gather the ingredients.
Combine shredded cabbage with sliced onion.
Combine dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Pour over cabbage and toss.
Cool the coleslaw and then refrigerate until serving time.
- Add 1 medium shredded or julienne-cut carrot to the coleslaw.
- Add about 1/4 cup of thinly sliced radish.
- Add about 1 cup of shredded red cabbage to the coleslaw.