|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The tangy vinegar dressing makes this a light and tasty slaw, perfect for any occasion. Serve it as a topping for pulled pork or shredded brisket sandwiches or serve it as a side dish with your barbecue.
Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe to suit your taste and diet, or make the slaw with an equivalent amount of a sugar-free sweetener.
- 1 large head cabbage (shredded)
- 1 large green bell pepper (shredded)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 1 small onion (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or less)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- dash black pepper
Toss shredded and minced vegetables together in a large bowl.
In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard seed, vinegar, and pepper; whisk together. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- If you prefer an oil and vinegar dressing, decrease the vinegar to 3/4 cup and whisk it with 2/3 cup of vegetable oil, the sugar, and the seasonings.
- For even more color, add a shredded red or yellow bell pepper.
- Make it a summer slaw with garden fresh vegetables: peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumbers, seeded and diced tomatoes, green onions, and chopped radish.