Like soup? Like tempeh? Try this easy vegetarian tempeh tomato and vegetable soup recipe!
This is a homemade garden vegetable soup recipe with a bounty of carrots, onions and added tempeh to give it a protein boost for vegetarians, vegans and of course meatless Monday dinners! For the kids, you can serve up this tempeh and tomato soup recipe with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich for a classic American lunch, veganized.
This soup recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and low in calories, and, if needed, it can easily be made gluten-free. You'll need to make sure that the tempeh you use is gluten-free (most are, but a few aren't, so read the label) as well as the vegetable broth (or, make your own homemade vegetable broth). All of the other ingredients are safe for anyone with gluten sensitivities.
If you like cooking with tempeh, you'll love this simple vegetarian tempeh recipe, or, if it's tomato soup you're looking for, here's even more healthy vegetarian tomato soup recipes to try.
Tempeh tomato soup recipe and photo courtesy of Lightlife Foods.
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- In a large soup pot, heat two tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and the salt and heat, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Next, add in the sliced carrots, then cover the soup pot, and reduce the heat to low. Allow the carrots to cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the vegetable broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a slow simmer and allow to heat, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- In a blender, carefully purée the soup mixture in batches until smooth and creamy, then add in the tomato paste and lemon juice to the blender and blend for a few seconds just to incorporate.
- In a skillet, heat the two remaining tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed tempeh and cook for 3 to five minutes, stirring frequently to cook the tempeh evenly on all sides. Add dill and cook for 30 seconds. Ladle soup into six bowls and top each bowl with cooked tempeh and dill.
This tempeh and tomato soup recipe is both high protein, vegetarian, vegan and low-calorie.
Makes six servings of vegetable tempeh soup.
Total Fat 13 g 19%; Saturated Fat 2 g 9%; Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 MG 0%
Sodium 1,017 MG 42%
Vitamin A 484% Vitamin C 13%
Carbohydrate 24 g 8%; Dietary Fiber 9 g 34%; Sugars 9 g 1%
Protein 8 g 16%; Calcium 8% Iron 12%
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|