Eating vegan? Like fajitas? Try this quick and easy vegetable fajitas recipe calling for red and green bell peppers. You can get these easy vegetarian fajitas on the table in less than ten minutes (yes, really!). No problem! Yes, it may look like a long ingredients list, but it's mostly just bell peppers and a few seasonings, including curry powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Super short on time or just short on fresh spices? Toss in a half to two-thirds of a packet of taco seasoning in place of the individual spices, because why not?
There's no wrong way to make Mexican food, in my personal burrito-addicted opinion, and recipes such as this one show off just how quick, easy and versatile Mexican food can be. Start with bell peppers, add some salsa (whether fresh homemade salsa or store-bought) and sour cream and you've got yourself a meal. Keep the hot sauce nearby, if that's your thing, and sneak in some homemade guacamole if avocados are in season. Sure, you can add in some meat substitute, lightly browned seitan or even a bit of sauteed or fried or baked tofu if you want something a bit heartier, or, just keep it simple and follow the recipe as is.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 onion (sliced thin)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream or non-dairy sour cream substitute (optional, but tasty!)
- 4 flour tortillas (warmed)
- In a large skillet or frying pan, saute bell pepper and onion in olive oil.
- Add the garlic salt, curry powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper and allow to cook, stirring frequently, until peppers and onion are soft, about 5 - 7 minutes. Make sure to not overcook the bell peppers; they should be tender, but not too soft.
- Warm the flour tortillas in the microwave for just a few seconds, or in the oven. I like to use my toaster oven for this, so I don't have to turn on the big oven just to warm up tortillas.
- Divide the peppers between the four warmed flour tortillas. Add a bit of salsa and sour cream (or a vegan non-dairy substitute) to each and serve immediately.
- Enjoy your vegetable fajitas with bell peppers! Yum!
A Few More Simple Vegetarian Meals:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|