These fantastic shrimp kebabs are marinated in a flavorful tequila-lime marinade. Perfect served as an appetizer or main dish. These shrimp also work well in salads, tacos, and wraps. Remember not to marinate the shrimp for too long as the marinade can actually cook the shrimp.
- 2 lbs./900 g. shrimp (large, unpeeled)
- For Marinade:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60 mL Tequila
- 1/4 cup/60 mL lime juice (fresh)
- 2 shallots (medium, finely chopped)
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp./10 mL cumin
- Garnish; salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Thread 3 to 4 shrimp on the skewers. If using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water for an hour before threading shrimp. Place in a large shallow glass dish.
2. To prepare the marinade: mix together tequila, lime juice, garlic, shallots, salt, cumin, and pepper. Add in olive oil slowly, whisking until mixture is combined. Pour the marinade over the peeled and deveined shrimp, cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Thread marinated shrimp onto skewers. Do not overcrowd. Set onto a platter and store in the refrigerator until grill is ready.
3. Preheat grill for medium heat. Right before cooking and when the grill is fully heated, oil grill grates. Use large outdoor cooking tongs, folded paper towels, and a high smoke point oil. Make a few passes on the grates to create a non-stick surface
4. Place shrimp on grill and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until shrimp is firm on all sides. Remove from the grill, take the shrimp off skewers and serve immediately.