|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
There are many things to love about the tequila sunrise. It's easy to mix up at a moment's notice, and a beautiful, refreshingly fruity cocktail. Of course, there's also tequila. When you add all that up, it's no wonder that this is one of the most popular tequila drinks.
You don't need any special skills to create the "sunrise" effect because it occurs naturally. Grenadine is a nonalcoholic, pomegranate-flavored syrup that adds sweetness to balance out the tart orange juice. It's so thick that, when poured, it sinks to the bottom of the glass and slowly rises up, just like a sunrise. The key is to avoid stirring the drink after adding the grenadine so it won't mix with the juice. If you do, you'll have a blush pink drink rather than eye-catching orange and red layers.
While it is a great cocktail, the famous orange juice and grenadine version is not the original. If you want a taste of the first tequila sunrise, you'll need lime juice, crème de cassis, and club soda. It's equally delicious and includes the sunrise, but it has an entirely different taste. Both drinks make a fabulous addition to a brunch table.
Click Play to See This Delicious Tequila Sunrise Cocktail Recipe Come Together
Gather the ingredients.
In a highball glass filled with ice cubes, pour the tequila and orange juice.
Slowly pour the grenadine around the inside edge of the glass. It will sink and gradually rise to mix with the other ingredients.
Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
Serve and enjoy.
- If the tequila sunrise is a tad too sweet for your taste, try it with a dash of lime or lemon juice. This can balance out the taste without compromising the appearance and central flavor of the drink.
- The best tequila for a tequila sunrise is whatever you have in stock. There's no need to go top-shelf, but you also want to pour a tequila that you actually enjoy. The fruit flavors are heavy, so it's OK to be frugal with this drink.
- To make the tequila sunrise by the pitcher, simply increase the ingredients. Retain the 1 part tequila to 2 parts orange juice or use 3 parts juice to soften the alcohol. Add the grenadine either in the pitcher or pour it into each glass. Likewise, use ice in the pitcher or glasses or both.
Tequila Sunrise History
There are a few stories behind the origin of the tequila sunrise. As with most cocktail histories, things get a little cloudy at times, and it's hard to know which story to believe.
One account claims that the drink welcomed tourists to Cancun and Acapulco in the 1950s. A more plausible story points to Gene Sulit, who tended bar at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel in the 1930s and '40s. He likely created the original version. Another credits it to bartenders Bobby Lazoff and Billy Rice at The Trident, a restaurant in Sausalito, California, during the tequila craze of the 1970s. It's thought that this is where the drink transformed into the popular orange juice version.
The Original Tequila Sunrise Recipe
The original tequila sunrise is sparkling, light, and features crème de cassis, a sweet black currant liqueur with a deep red color. To make this drink, pour 1 1/2 ounces of tequila and the juice of half a lime into a collins glass filled with ice. Top with club soda, then slowly pour 3/4 ounce crème de cassis into the drink. Garnish with a lime wheel and maraschino cherry.
How Strong Is a Tequila Sunrise?
Assuming that you pour an 80-proof tequila and end up with a 7-ounce drink, the alcohol content of either tequila sunrise will be around 11 percent ABV (22 proof). You can pour as much tequila or as little juice and soda as you like to make stronger or weaker drinks, but it's almost always a relatively mild cocktail.
The signature sunrise effect of the tequila sunrise has inspired many drinks over the years. If you enjoy that touch of sweetness and the beautiful impression it leaves in your glass, give one of these recipes a try:
- When you don't feel like drinking (or if it's too early in the morning), skip the tequila, and enjoy a virgin sunrise. It's a tasty way to sweeten up your OJ.
- There is a margarita for everything, and the blended tequila sunrise margarita is quite fun.
- The firefly pairs vodka and grapefruit juice with grenadine to create a simple, tart drink.
- Similarly, the ruby rum sunrise is a sweet-sour rum cocktail with grapefruit juice.
- A stunning martini-style drink, the sour sunrise switches to bourbon whiskey. This can be made with just tequila and orange juice as well. For these "up" versions that are not served over ice, shaking the liquor and juice, then straining it into the glass lightens up the drink.
- The peach candy corn cocktail is a playful whipped cream vodka cocktail that's ideal for Halloween.
- For a delicate mocktail featuring peach juice, try the sparkling peach sunrise.
- The Waterloo sunset mixes gin, elderflower, and Champagne with a raspberry-flavored sunrise.
What's the Difference Between a Tequila Sunrise and a Tequila Sunset?
Quite often, tequila sunset is just another name for a tequila sunrise. Then again, it can be an entirely different recipe. Some use grapefruit juice instead of orange, while others use a blend of pineapple and orange. In all of those, though, the grenadine is at the bottom, just like in a sunrise.
For the opposite effect that places a red layer at the top of the drink (like a true sunset), you'll need to use a lighter ingredient than straight grenadine. One option is to mix a little soda with grenadine before adding it to the tequila mix. Blackberry brandy is commonly used as a substitute for grenadine in a tequila sunset, and most brands should be light enough to float on top. Other red liquors may work as well, depending on their specific gravity. You could even use dark rum; mix it with food coloring if you really want the red layer. With all of these tequila sunset options, pour the top layer over the back of a barspoon so it floats.