Preparing a steak teriyaki style is one of the best ways to make it delicious. This recipe uses flank steak, though any kind of steak will do. It's great to grill on a summer evening to serve with grilled vegetables or a bright summer salad. Rice is a traditional accompaniment as well.
You don't need a fancy grill for teriyaki steak. A hibachi charcoal grill will work just fine, as well as any gas or charcoal grill.
The pineapple in the marinade helps to make this dish more tender and flavorful. Natural enzymes in pineapple act as a meat tenderizer, perfect for this kind of steak. These enzymes are broken down by canning, so canned pineapple and its juice will have a less tenderizing effect and you can marinate the steak for up to 12 hours. If you use fresh pineapple and its juice, you should marinate for no more than two hours as the meat can end up mushy rather than tender.
- 1 1/2 pounds/0.7 kilograms flank steak
- For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup/60 milliliters pineapple (canned crushed)
- 3 teaspoons/4 milliliters pineapple juice (reserved from crushed pineapple)
- 3 teaspoons/45 milliliters soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons/30 milliliters shallot (minced)
- 2 teaspoons/30 milliliters olive oil
- 2 teaspoons/30 milliliters cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons/15 milliliters honey
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoons/5 milliliters ginger (fresh, minced)
- 1/4 teaspoons/1.75 milliliters black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons/1.75 milliliters salt
- Remove 3 tablespoons of crushed pineapple from can and place into a bowl. Carefully dip out 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice from the can. If this proves difficult to do, simply place the remaining crushed pineapple in a strainer over a bowl. Press down with a spatula to release as much liquid as you can. This should give you the necessary amount for the recipe. Add remaining the marinade ingredients (soy sauce, minced shallots, olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, minced garlic, minced ginger, black pepper, salt) to the bowl and combine.
- Place the flank steak into a glass baking dish or plastic container and coat it on both sides with the marinade mixture. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours. Turn the steak a few times during the marinating process and replace the plastic wrap over the dish each time.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the steak from the glass dish. Place the steak on the heated grill. Cook about 5 to 7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the cut, until done. Remove the steaks from grill once they've reached the desired doneness and let them rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slice the flank steaks into strips across the grain.
Teriyaki flank steak can be served over rice as a main course. It's also delicious as part of the main course salad. You can use it in wraps for a great lunch.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|