Refrigerated biscuits make this well-seasoned everyday casserole a snap to prepare and bake.
Serve this easy one-dish ground beef casserole with a green salad or sliced fresh tomatoes and cucumbers for an excellent family meal.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small can mild green chiles (4 ounces), drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can of 10 refrigerated biscuits or 8 large
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Lightly butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion; drain. Add chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and tomato sauce. Simmer while preparing biscuit crust.
- Separate the biscuits, then separate each biscuit into 2 layers. Press 10 biscuit layers over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, sour cream and egg. Remove meat mixture from heat then stir in sour cream mixture.
- Spoon mixture over biscuit dough.
- Arrange remaining 10 biscuit layers over the top of the meat mixture then sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until biscuits are nicely browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|