|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Makes 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a moist and delicious cornbread, perfect to serve with beans, a bowl of chili, or a hearty soup or stew. Add more or less minced jalapenos to suit your taste. A cast iron skillet makes the best crust, but a heavy baking pan could be used if necessary.
- 1/4 cup canola oil plus 1 tablespoon for the skillet
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, 9 ounces
- 1 small can (8 ounces) cream-style corn, or about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion, red or yellow
- 2 tablespoons finely minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Cheddar Jack cheese blend or a mild or sharp Cheddar cheese
Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and put it in the oven. Heat the oven to 425 F,
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil, the buttermilk, cream-style corn, minced onion, and minced jalapeno peppers.
In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cheese. Blend well.
Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and set it on a metal rack.
Combine the egg and buttermilk mixture and the dry mixture. Stir just until blended. Pour into the hot pan.
Return the pan to the oven and bake the cornbread for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and crisp around the edges.
Cut into wedges and serve.
- A cast iron skillet will make the best crust, but a 9-inch baking pan can be substituted.
- Use fresh jalapenos or canned, minced finely.