|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 88g||32%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||47%|
|Total Sugars 39g|
|Vitamin C 7mg||37%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These tasty Texas-style beans make an excellent side dish for a barbecue or cookout or serve them with freshly baked cornbread wedges for an everyday family meal. The beans are fantastic with coleslaw and potato salad on the side. The ground beef is browned in bacon drippings, make them a hearty and flavorful choice.
With or without the ground beef, the beans are a great choice for a pulled pork meal or alongside burgers or steaks. Put the beans in the slow cooker and take them along to a party or potluck dinner. These slow cooker beans are a convenient alternative.
Chopped red or green bell pepper works well in the beans, and the recipe calls for kidney beans and pinto beans, but they can be made with other types of beans. Canned great northern beans, navy beans, black beans, or small red beans are some of the many possibilities.
8 strips bacon
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can pork and beans
1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar, or more to taste
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until just crisp.
Remove to paper towels to drain and set aside.
Remove all but a few teaspoons of drippings from skillet. Add ground beef and chopped onion and place back over medium heat. Cook, stirring and breaking up beef, until onion is tender and beef is no longer pink.
Drain canned beans in a colander and run cold water over them to rinse.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef mixture with drained beans.
In another bowl, combine ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and both sugars; mix well to blend.
Pour over bean mixture and stir to blend.
Spoon bean mixture into a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over top.
Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour.
- Mix the beans up with different varieties along with the baked beans. Use black beans, great northern beans, small red beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans, or white kidney beans.
- Replace the ketchup with chili sauce or barbecue sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper or a combination of red and green bell pepper.
- Double the ground beef for a heartier main dish bean bake.
- Add about 1/2 pound of ground pork or sausage to skillet with the ground beef.
- Jazz the beans up with 2 teaspoons of chili powder and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne.