If you haven't tried a Texas style potato salad, you're missing out. Think German potato salad meets traditional potato salad with a touch of Southwestern flair. A must try at your next cookout!
- 8 medium potatoes (Yukon gold, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks)
- 2 stalks celery (washed and diced)
- 2 green onions (green part only, washed and chopped)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL cilantro (leaves, washed and chopped)
- 2 eggs (hard-boiled, cut into medium chunks)
- For the Pickled Jalapenos:
- 1/4 cup/60 mL vinegar (rice wine)
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL mustard seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL sea salt
- For the Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup/120 mL Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL vinegar (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL pickling juice
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sugar (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sea salt (more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper (coarse ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL cayenne pepper (or chipotle chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL garlic (powder)
- In a small glass or plastic bowl, add rice wine vinegar, mustard seed, salt, and diced jalapenos. You can use serrano peppers if you prefer.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a large pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to water as it begins to bubble.
- Peel and cut Yukon potatoes into 3/4-inch chunks. Add to pot and boil for 15-18 minutes. Potatoes are done when easily pierced by a fork. Make sure they are still firm and not mushy.
- Once potatoes are cooked through, drain and add to an ice bath (a large bowl with cold water and 1 cup/240 mL of ice), for several minutes. This halts the cooking process and cools the potatoes.
- Add mustard, mayonnaise, salt, sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, vinegar, pickling juice, and chili powder to bowl.
- Combine and taste for salt content. Remember that potatoes tend to need a little more salt, so add 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL more if necessary.
Bringing it All Together:
- Drain potatoes from ice bath.
- Add to bowl along with celery pickled jalapenos, cilantro, egg, and green onions.
- Using large spoon, gently combine with salad dressing.
Scoop potato salad into serving dish, top with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.