- 1/4 cup/60 mL tomato paste
- 1 cup/240 mL no sugar ketchup
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL pure agave syrup (omit if on a strict diabetic diet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon/10 mL onion powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/5 mL liquid smoke
- Dash cayenne pepper
In a medium sauce pan, combine ingredients in order listed over medium heat.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Once cooked through, remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
Serve over grilled chicken, beef, pork, fish or frankfurters.
The recipe can be doubled or tripled according to need. Store sauce in air tight plastic container in fridge for up to 7 days after preparation.
Use 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce for a more fruit based barbecue sauce.