- 1/4 cup/60 mL tomato paste
- 1 cup/240 mL no sugar ketchup
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL pure agave syrup (omit if on a strict diabetic diet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon/10 mL onion powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/5 mL liquid smoke
- Dash cayenne pepper
In a medium sauce pan, combine ingredients in order listed over medium heat.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Once cooked through, remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
Serve over grilled chicken, beef, pork, fish or frankfurters.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled according to need. Store sauce in air tight plastic container in fridge for up to 7 days after preparation.
- Use 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce for a more fruit based barbecue sauce.