When warm days turn to chilly nights, add tequila to your fall cocktail line-up. The caramel apple pie is easy to mix up, offering familiar seasonal flavors in one deliciously sweet tequila cocktail you'll want to share with everyone.
The recipe comes from Tequila Tezón, a brand of premium tequilas that is excellent for making top-notch cocktails. In the caramel apple pie, both the blanco and reposado tequilas from Tezón work very well. You'll simply get a little extra barrel-aging flavor from the reposado.
For the rest of the drink, you'll need butterscotch schnapps, apple cider, and just a hint of lemon juice. It comes together wonderfully, creating an apple martini with a sweet kiss of caramel and an underlying flavor that can only come from tequila.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the tequila, butterscotch schnapps, apple cider, and lemon juice.
Garnish with an apple slice.
Serve and enjoy!
- To make the drink really interesting, look for unfiltered, fresh-pressed apple cider. It tends to have a truer flavor and the cloudy cider adds a nice mouthfeel against the butterscotch. You can typically find it in autumn at apple orchards or a grocer's produce section.
- For the lemon juice, it's easiest to squeeze the juice of a lemon wedge directly into the shaker. No measuring required as you want just a tart accent.
- Apple slices like to turn an unpleasant yellow-brown color due to oxidation. To prevent that and keep the garnish looking fresh, dip it in a little lemon juice immediately after cutting it.
- You can certainly replace the tequila with vodka in this recipe if you prefer. Whiskey (particularly bourbon) is a rather interesting substitution as well.
- Butterscotch sauce or syrup (the kind you'd use on ice cream or caramel apples) can be used instead of the schnapps. It will retain the flavor but knock the drink's potency down a bit.
- While it doesn't have the depth of flavor as this cocktail, the caramel appletini offers a similar taste. It's easier simply because it requires just two ingredients, so while you have butterscotch schnapps in stock, pick up a bottle of UV Green Apple Vodka and give it a try.