Black sticky rice (or black glutinous rice) is a naturally sweet, dark rice (dark purple more than black) that has both fiber and loads of antioxidants - which only makes this baked rice pudding extra enjoyable to eat.
You can cook Thai black sticky rice on your stovetop or in your slow cooker or rice cooker. You'll be amazed at the unique taste of the rice in combination with the coconut milk. Add a dab of coconut cream on top (instead of whipped cream), and you have a healthy dessert that's very delicious and guilt-free!
- Soak the rice overnight, or for at least 6 hours (otherwise the rice will take all day to cook).
- Place drained rice in a pot together with brown sugar, salt, 1 can coconut milk, and all the water. Boil half-covered until the liquid has been absorbed and rice is soft to chew. (If necessary, add 1 cup more water and continue cooking until rice is tender.)
- When rice is done cooking, allow cooling slightly.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk plus the eggs. Mix thoroughly. Dip your finger in to check the taste - add a little more sugar if needed.
- Pour this mixture into one large baking dish, or divide up into individual ramekins. Cover with tin foil (or a lid if using a baking dish). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and either serve warm or place in the refrigerator and serve cold (it's good both ways!).
- When serving, add a dollop of coconut cream on top (the solid cream from the top of a can of thick coconut milk), or whipped cream. Enjoy with a strong cup of tea or coffee.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Place drained rice in slow cooker together with brown sugar, salt, 1 can coconut milk, and all the water. Cook overnight or all day on LOW or for 2 to 3 hours on HIGH until all liquid is absorbed. Rice should be soft to chewy in texture. (If the rice is too tough, add 1 cup more water and allow to continue cooking until done.)
- Follow steps 3 through 7 above (stovetop method) to complete the dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|