Best corn fritters ever! This scrumptious recipe for corn fritters is a real treat that will make everyone happy, even kids. It's also vegetarian and can be made gluten free. The batter takes only minutes to stir together, then just drop spoonfuls into hot oil and fry a few minutes for the yummiest savory fritters ever. It's an easy dish that is terrific as an appetizer, snack, or finger food for a party. For a dip, I like them with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, which is now available in most grocery stores - look for it in the Asian section. Or make your own homemade sauce with my recipe (below). Enjoy!
- 1 cup rice flour (or scant 1 cup all-purpose white flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or 1/4 tsp. salt for vegetarians)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (use wheat-free soy sauce for gluten-free diets)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tofu (block medium or firm cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup corn (cut fresh off the cob or frozen)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 1 cup coriander (loose, fresh chopped)
- 1/2 bell pepper (green, diced)
- 1 green chili (fresh red or green, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon. cayenne pepper)
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- Garnish: 1 bottle Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (to serve)
- 1 cup canola (or other vegetable oil for deep-frying)
- Break eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add fish sauce or salt, and soy sauce. Whisk together.
- Add tofu, corn, green onions, coriander, bell pepper, chili, and turmeric. Stir together.
- Mix the baking powder with the flour (this can be done right in your measuring cup). Add this to the wet mixture a little at a time, stirring to form a thick mixture. Taste-test it for salt, adding more fish sauce, or salt if not salty or flavorful enough.
- Heat the oil in a wok or small frying pan over medium-high heat (the oil should be at least 1 inch deep). When bubbles begin to rise from the bottom of the pan, try dropping in a 1/4 tsp. of the mixture. If it sizzles right away, the oil is ready.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the oil - each one will be a fritter. Tip: Odd shapes are desirable (see photo). Fry at least 1 minute before disturbing - or until they have a more solid form - then gently turn. Fritters are done when they're golden-brown on both sides. Remove from oil and allow to drain on a clean tea towel or paper towel.
- Serve with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. ENJOY!
To Make Your Own Dipping Sauce: See my Thai Sweet Chili Sauce Homemade Recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|