An easy, delicious iced tea recipe, so wonderfully delicious refreshing on a warm day. Various types of black tea can be used in this recipe for iced tea, from Ceylon to orange pekoe or even English Breakfast. Thai iced tea can be served with or without some kind of milk added - usually evaporated milk is used in Thailand, while in North America half and half is popular. For vegans, coconut milk works well. While packaged iced tea mixes appear attractively easy to make, once you try making iced tea from scratch, you'll wonder why you never did it before - it's nearly as easy, and tastes far better! It's also healthier for you (no chemicals, coloring, or preservatives). Very beautiful to serve, and ultra thirst quenching!
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 tea bags (black such as Assam, Orange Pekoe, Ceylon, or equivalent loose black tea)
- 1 fresh lime (or lemon squeezed for juice)
- 1-2 cloves (whole or 1 green cardamom pod smashed, or 1-star anise, or 1/8 tsp. cinnamon or allspice)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar (white, to taste)
- Garnish: a good shake of salt
- Optional: half and half
- Optional: carnation milk
- Optional: coconut cereal milk
- Garnish: ice cubes
- Garnish: slices of lime (or lemon, fresh)
- Garnish: sprigs of mint (or basil, fresh)
- Boil 4 cups water in a pot. Add the loose tea or tea bags. Stir and boil at least 5-6 minutes while you add the other ingredients.
- Squeeze in the lime or lemon juice and add salt plus spice of your choice. Continue boiling 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, starting with 1/4 cup. Stir to dissolve. Taste-test for sweetness, adding more sugar (1-2 Tbsp. at a time) until your desired sweetness level is reached.
- If you have been using tea bags, use a spoon to press them to the side of the bowl before removing to extract as much of the tea as possible. If using loose tea, strain as you transfer tea into a jug. Refrigerate until cold.
- Pour out into glasses. If adding milk, fill between 2/3 and 3/4 of the glass with tea and top up with milk, cream or coconut milk.
- Garnish glasses with sprigs of fresh mint or sweet basil. Add ice if desired. ENJOY!!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|