This Thai cashew salad recipe is incredibly scrumptious - but you won't believe just how scrumptious until you try it for yourself! Whole cashews are combined with cucumber, carrot, red pepper and Thai herbs. This healthy combination is tossed in a very easy-to-make, flavorful and fat-free Thai dressing.
Cashew salad can be put together in just 15 minutes but tastes like you spent a lot longer making it. This is a great salad recipe to accompany any meal, but it is especially delicious alongside other Thai food favorites such as Thai vegetable spring rolls, pumpkin and sweet potato curry and carrot soup with ginger and lemongrass.
This salad is easily made vegetarian by substituting Golden Mountain Sauce or soy sauce for the fish sauce. It can also be served as a main course - just add some cooked shrimp, grilled chicken or slices of deep-fried tofu (if you're vegetarian).
- 1 English cucumber (or 2 small field cucumbers), skin removed if desired
- 1 carrot, grated (use a larger sized grater if you have one)
- 1 cup whole roasted unsalted cashews (avoid the baking type - bulk cashews are fresher)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper or 1 small red pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 spring (green) onions, sliced or cut into strips lengthwise
- Generous handfuls of fresh coriander (cilantro) and fresh basil to make a "bed" for the salad
- Salad Dressing:
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce (vegetarian substitute: 1 tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce, or 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce)
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 to 3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced, or 1 to 2 tsp. chili sauce, or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1 to 2 tsp. sugar (to taste)
- Pinch of white pepper (or substitute regular black pepper)
- Make the dressing by mixing all salad dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Taste-test for sourness/spiciness, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste, or more chili if it's not spicy enough. Set aside.
- Slice the cucumber, then cut the slices in half. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add the grated carrot, cashews, red pepper and spring onions.
- Pour the dressing over and toss well.
- Place herbs on a serving dish and spoon salad over. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|