|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 to 3|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 67g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||41%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy salad is super-delicious and virtually fat-free! Asian rice noodles (or fettuccine pasta noodles) are tossed in an array of fresh vegetables, shrimp, and herbs for the best pasta salad you'll have all summer. The oil-free dressing is extremely tasty, bursting with the quintessential tastes of Thai cooking. Make the full recipe and keep in the refrigerator to enjoy anytime, whether for a quick and easy lunch or for a refreshing summer dinner.
- 10 to 12 ounces rice noodles or fettuccine-style pasta noodles
- 1 cup small cooked shrimp, thawed and drained if frozen
- 1 red or green chili, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 3 spring (green) onions, sliced
- 1 cup fresh coriander/cilantro, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, lightly chopped
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts or cashews, unsalted, and left whole or lightly chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 2 limes, juiced)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili sauce, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Prepare noodles according to the directions on the package (you want them 'al dente'). Rinse noodles with cold water, drain and set aside.
Prepare salad dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients (lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, chili sauce/cayenne pepper, and garlic) together in a cup or small bowl until sugar dissolves. Taste-test for sour/sweetness, adding more sugar as desired. Note that the taste of the dressing will be very zingy at this point because of the lime juice, but it will mellow out when distributed among the noodles.
Prepare the vegetables and shrimp, and place them in a very large salad or mixing bowl. Add the herbs and nuts too. Stir the dressing once more and pour over, tossing well to mix.
Add the noodles and toss again (necessary to distribute the dressing, vegetables, herbs, shrimp, and peanuts throughout the noodles). Once well-tossed, taste-test the noodles, adding more fish sauce if not salty or tasty enough.
You can serve this salad immediately, or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat (this salad will keep for up to 3 days). Serve right out of the bowl, or lift and place onto a serving platter or individual bowls. Garnish with a few extra sprigs of the fresh herbs, plus some chopped peanuts.