- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 pound cleaned squid
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- In 4-quart saucepan, combine 3 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine fish sauce, juice, sugar, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir until sugar has dissolved. Stir in sweet onions and carrot.
- Rinse squid under cold running water. Slice squid bodies crosswise into very thin rings.
- Cut tentacles into several pieces if large. Add to boiling water and cook until tender and opaque, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Drain and add to dressing in bowl.
- Add lettuce, mint, and cilantro. Toss until mixed and coated with dressing.
• How to clean squid and harvest ink
Recipe Source: edited by Susan Westmoreland (Hearst Books)
Reprinted with permission.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|