While the slow cooker isn't well suited to every cooking task, it has many significant advantages. If you're interested in buying a slow cooker, be sure to read some of the benefits of slow cooker cooking below.
- The extended cooking times allow better distribution of flavors in many recipes.
- The lower temperatures lessen the chance of scorching foods that tend to stick to the bottom of a pan or burn in an oven.
- Less expensive or tough meats, such as chuck steaks, roast, and less-lean stewing beef, are tenderized through the long cooking process. The slow cooker is an excellent choice for cooking many venison dishes.
- The slow cooker frees your oven and stove top for other uses, and it is a splendid choice for large gatherings or holiday meals. Many people swear by their slow cooker dressing or mashed potatoes.
- There's no need to scrub several pots and pans. In most cases, you'll only have to wash the slow cooker and maybe a few prep utensils.
- Slow cookers use less energy than a standard electric oven.
- The slow cooker won't heat the kitchen up the way a large oven will, a real plus on a hot summer day.
- A slow cooker travels well. Take it from your kitchen to the office or party. Just plug it in and serve.
*Note: Whenever you purchase a new slow cooker, use it a few times on both HIGH and LOW settings before leaving it unattended.