This sweet and savory breakfast sandwich is brought to you from Black Dolphin Inn in sunny New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Made with Wisconsin muenster, smoked cheddar, asiago, maple glazed sausage, cheesy scrambled eggs, and thyme infused salty butter and then finished with a sweet drizzle of maple syrup, this glorious grilled cheese encompasses everything you could ever want in life.
- For the scrambled eggs:
- 2 medium sized organic eggs
- a few dashes frank's hot sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. sharp cheddar (grated)
- 1 pat good salted butter
- For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices of white bread (we use Sarah Lee's Artesano bread)
- 1/2 tbsp. sweet and spicy mustard
- 2 slices of smoked sharp cheddar
- 2 slices of Wisconsin muenster
- 2 slices of asiago
- 2 tbsp ground maple sausage (cooked)
- 2 pats good salted butter
- a few fresh thyme leaves (removed from stem)
- Garnish: syrup for serving
FOR THE SCRAMBLED EGGS
- Add eggs, hot sauce and salt to a small mixing bowl and whip with a fork for at least 30 seconds or until smooth and fluffy.
- Add good salted butter to a small nonstick pan and let melt.
- Once it's melted add the blended eggs and stir continuously with a spatula until the eggs start to become a custard-like consistence.
- Right as the eggs start to solidify, add the cheese and stir well until incorporated. Use the side of your spatula and shape the cheesy scrambled eggs into a square to fit the size of the bread. Set aside.
FOR THE SANDWICH
- Smear the mustard onto one slice of bread. Top with the smoked sharp cheddar and 1 slice of asiago
- Add the cheesy scrambled egg square and top with the sausage - making sure to squish the sausage down into the egg so it helps hold it in place. Top with the other piece of asiago and the remaining two slices of muenster cheese.
- Heat your panini press, cast iron skillet, or nonstick pan to medium and add half the butter and half of the little thyme leaves.
- Place the sandwich on top of the melted thyme infused butter and smear butter on the top of the sandwich and sprinkle with the remaining thyme leaves.
- Cook the grilled cheese for a few minutes until the bread is crispy and all the cheese has melted. Remove from heat, cut, and serve with a hefty drizzle of maple syrup.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||425 g|
|Saturated Fat||244 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||123 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|