About Our Recipe Testing
You may notice a badge appearing on some recipes. The badge signifies that a recipe tester has double-checked and cooked the recipe, taking special care to confirm that the ingredients and method are sound and that the dish works well as it’s written.
How We Test Our Recipes
Your experience with a recipe is so much more than the final food on the plate. Our testers know that when you choose a recipe, you are considering all sides of the experience: the shopping, chopping, eating, and even the dreaded clean-up experience.
- Our testers receive recipes—they are never assigned their own.
- Our testers shop for ingredients in regular grocery stores, which means they know how easy the ingredients are to find and can give you a good estimate of how a dish will fit into your budget.
- Our testers cook the published recipes from start to finish, following each step exactly as written. When working through a recipe, a tester is careful to measure each ingredient, set timers, and make loads of helpful observations along the way.
- Our testers work out of home kitchens, with non-industrial stoves and equipment. The prep and cook times, as well as the estimated level of difficulty, are all based on cooking out of a kitchen that's similar to your own.
- Finally, a recipe that is quick to assemble may leave you with a sink full of dishes—something you may not have time to tackle on a busy weeknight. Our testers ensure that all of your time is considered in their review.
- Our testers strive to work out all the kinks in a recipe, so that your time in the kitchen is not only productive, but fun.
Which Recipes Are Tested?
The Spruce Eats' recipe library is deep and includes thousands of old favorites, crowd-pleasers, and dishes from cuisines in many regions of the world. Plus, we publish dozens of new recipes every month.
All of our recipes have been carefully written and cooked by the developers who create them and by photographers and videographers who capture the process. Recipe testers then cook the recipes as written, to make doubly sure that each recipe gives you great results. These are the ones with the "tested" checkmark.
Who Are Our Recipe Testers?
Colleen Graham is a cookbook author with over 10 years of experience in the food-writing and recipe development world. She is a cocktail expert and professional bartender. She has been writing for The Spruce Eats since it launched in 2017, and has been with About.com since 2006. In her 12 years of professional cookbook writing and recipe development experience, she has published over 900 recipes and two books about cocktails.
Danielle Centoni is a James Beard Award-winning food writer and editor based in Portland, Oregon. She has authored five cookbooks and contributed recipe testing to six additional cookbooks. Danielle has worked as a staff editor and writer for the Oakland Tribune, The Oregonian, Imbibe Magazine, MIX Magazine, and Eater Portland. She is also a recipe developer/tester for brands and magazines including Better Homes and Gardens and EatingWell Magazine. Danielle has been writing for The Spruce Eats since December 2018.
Danilo was a professional chef for over 15 years. He has written about food and cooking over a decade. He has been writing for The Spruce Eats since its launch in 2017. After graduating from culinary school at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College, Danilo honed his skills cooking in upscale restaurants and a high-end catering company before launching his personal chef business—which specialized in gourmet dinner parties—in 2004.
Diana is an avid home cook and foodie with a passion for Southern and regional cooking and food history. She has been writing for The Spruce Eats since 2017, but has been developing new recipes and writing about food since 1996. Last year, 600,000 people made her sweet potato casserole for the holidays (and that’s just one of nearly 4,000 published recipes). She’s the author of two cookbooks, "Guide to Southern Cooking" and "The Everything Southern Cookbook."
Jess is an Editor and contributing writer for The Spruce Eats and joined the company in 2019. Before joining the site, Jess worked as Senior Editor and Test Kitchen Director for Food Republic, a Contributing Editor for Zester Daily, and a Community Editor for The Daily Meal. She has contributed numerous articles introducing readers to basic ingredients and providing tips on how to cook with them.
Victoria is recipe developer, tester and food photographer, with over three years of experience in the industry. She is a graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, during which time, she was a recipe tester with chef Sara Moulton. She also has worked as a prep cook at Huertas, a Spanish tapas restaurant in New York City's East Village.
We Appreciate Your Feedback
We aim to provide the very best experience with our articles and recipes. If you think we could be doing better, we want to hear all about it. We monitor your comments and use them to investigate and correct problems.
If you have any questions about the accuracy of any recipes, or about our recipe testing process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.