About Our Recipe Testing
You may notice a badge appearing on some recipes. The badge signifies that a recipe tester has double-checked and cooked the recipe, taking special care to confirm that the ingredients and method are sound and that the dish works well as it’s written.
How We Test Our Recipes
Your experience with a recipe is so much more than the final food on the plate. Our testers know that when you choose a recipe, you are considering all sides of the experience: the shopping, chopping, eating, and even the dreaded clean-up experience.
- Our testers receive recipes—they are never assigned their own.
- Our testers shop for ingredients in regular grocery stores, which means they know how easy the ingredients are to find and can give you a good estimate of how a dish will fit into your budget.
- Our testers cook the published recipes from start to finish, following each step exactly as written. When working through a recipe, a tester is careful to measure each ingredient, set timers, and make loads of helpful observations along the way.
- Our testers work out of home kitchens, with non-industrial stoves and equipment. The prep and cook times, as well as the estimated level of difficulty, are all based on cooking out of a kitchen that's similar to your own.
- Finally, a recipe that is quick to assemble may leave you with a sink full of dishes—something you may not have time to tackle on a busy weeknight. Our testers ensure that all of your time is considered in their review.
- Our testers strive to work out all the kinks in a recipe, so that your time in the kitchen is not only productive, but fun.
Which Recipes Are Tested?
The Spruce Eats' recipe library is deep and includes thousands of old favorites, crowd-pleasers, and dishes from cuisines in many regions of the world. Plus, we publish dozens of new recipes every month.
All of our recipes have been carefully written and cooked by the developers who create them and by photographers and videographers who capture the process. Recipe testers then cook the recipes as written, to make doubly sure that each recipe gives you great results. These are the ones with the "tested" checkmark.
Who Are Our Recipe Testers?
Danilo was a professional chef for over 15 years and has been writing about food for over a decade. After graduating from culinary school at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College, Danilo honed his skills cooking in upscale restaurants and a high-end catering company before launching his personal chef business in 2004. He has been writing for The Spruce Eats since its launch in 2017.
Daniell is a James Beard Award-winning food writer and editor based in Portland, Oregon. She has authored five cookbooks and contributed recipe testing to six additional cookbooks. Danielle has worked as a staff editor and writer for the Oakland Tribune and Eater Portland, among others. Danielle has been writing for The Spruce Eats since December 2018.
Colleen is a cookbook author with over 12 years of experience as a recipe developer and cookbook writer. She has published over 900 recipes and two books about cocktails, and is also a professional bartender. She has been writing for The Spruce Eats since it launched in 2017.
Victoria is a recipe developer, tester, and food photographer with over four years of experience in the industry. She is a graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education, during which time she worked as a recipe tester for chef Sara Moulton. She also has worked as a prep cook at Huertas, a Spanish tapas restaurant in New York City's East Village.
Sean is an award winning bartender with over 15 years of experience in the industry. He is the head bartender at the two-Michelin-star restaurant, Gabriel Kreuther, crafting cocktail menus that have caught international attention. To date, he has made over 1 million cocktails, and counting.
Tom has spent over fifteen years in the restaurant industry, and is currently the beverage director at Clover Club, a cocktail bar in Brooklyn, where he designs their seasonal cocktail program. He is also the co-founder of Social Hour Cocktails, a premium line of craft cocktails. He loves helping people make better cocktails, whether they're preparing them at home or as professional bartenders.
Diana has a passion for Southern and regional cooking and food history. She has been writing for The Spruce Eats since 2017, but has been developing new recipes and writing about food since 1996. She’s the author of two cookbooks, "Guide to Southern Cooking" and "The Everything Southern Cookbook."
Tracy Wilk is a professional pastry chef, recipe developer and chef instructor, who graduated from the Natural Gourmet Institute. She has worked in the pastry department of James Beard Award winning ABC Kitchen, Flex Mussels, and as Executive Pastry Chef at David Burke Kitchen, all located in New York City.
We Appreciate Your Feedback
We aim to provide the very best experience with our articles and recipes. If you think we could be doing better, we want to hear all about it. We monitor your comments and use them to investigate and correct problems.
If you have any questions about the accuracy of any recipes, or about our recipe testing process, please email us at email@example.com.